[petsc-users] Errors in installing PETSc

Scott Dossa doss0032 at umn.edu
Tue Sep 13 11:40:40 CDT 2016

Hi Jason,

I have two tips for configuring PETSc.

While I can't speak for all Cluster Computing, I know that many of the
libraries you are attempting to link might require loading when logging
into a cluster.

For example, here at MSI, one needs to call

> module load mkl

to load the intel math kernel library (which includes blas-lapack).

Since you are downloading blas-lapack, that example would not be necessary,
but it may be for other libraries you are using.

Also I found I had to search manually for where the shared-libraries
resided and explicitly tell PETSc where they live. For example, when I
configure PETSc, I had to include options like

> ./configure (. . .)
> --with-mpi-dir=/panfs/roc/itascasoft/openmpi/el6/1.7.2/intel-2013-update5

to tell PETSc where openmpi lives. I had to do this for nearly all
libraries I wished to link to PETSc.

Hope this helps!
-Scott Dossa