[petsc-users] Errors in installing PETSc

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 13 12:27:23 CDT 2016

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016, Scott Dossa wrote:

> Also I found I had to search manually for where the shared-libraries
> resided and explicitly tell PETSc where they live. For example, when I
> configure PETSc, I had to include options like
>
> > ./configure (. . .)
> > --with-mpi-dir=/panfs/roc/itascasoft/openmpi/el6/1.7.2/intel-2013-update5
> >
> to tell PETSc where openmpi lives. I had to do this for nearly all
> libraries I wished to link to PETSc.

To clarify - wrt MPI - when one specifies --with-mpi-dir - then
configure looks for mpicc,mpicxx,mpif90 from that location and uses
it.

Alternative is to specify
--with-cc=/panfs/roc/itascasoft/openmpi/el6/1.7.2/intel-2013-update5/bin/mpicc
etc..

[or have mpicc etc in your PATH]

All the above 3 modes are equivalent. IF one mixes up these option - there is ambiguity - and
configure stumbles - for eg: "--with-cc=gcc --with-mpi-dir=/location/of/mpich-install"

Satish