[petsc-dev] PetscFEM routines missing user data arguments

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 20:03:29 CST 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Geoffrey Irving <irving at naml.us> wrote:

> It doesn't look like there's currently a way to pass user data down to
> the various fields in PetscFEM.  Can I add an extra argument to each
> function, or is that part of the API going to change in a way that
> would obviate the extra argument?

That is by design. Here is the rationale. I want to be able to use CUDA or
OpenCL
to evaluate these low-level FEM integration routines, so you can't pass in
arbitrary
context.

I really don't think we should need arbitrary information at the lowest
level integration.
Right now you can pass in information using auxiliary fields. How would you
use
other stuff?