[petsc-dev] buildsystem: cusp location

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 25 14:00:44 CDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 13:51, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> So far its been the 'default organiation of the package' determeined
> by the package owner. Yes - ideally everyone complies with some
> packaging standard [including us] - but it hasn't been there.

So, hypothetically, suppose cusp had a library too, but still no installer.
Then the directions would say to put the headers in /usr/local/cuda/include
and the library in /usr/local/cuda/lib, right? Would that change the
definition of a prefix? What if it was a manual page? I don't see how lack
of an automatic install changes the meaning of a prefix. Any reasonable
person would be outraged if a header-only package had an install target and
installed to $prefix/*.h instead of $prefix/include/*.h.