[petsc-dev] buildsystem: cusp location

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 25 13:51:56 CDT 2012

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, Jed Brown wrote:

> 2012/3/25 Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov>
>
> > The key here is for the user to be aware that the layout is not normal.
> >

> Well, what is "normal"? The way the package recommends and the way all
> other packages are organized, or the way an unknowing user might lay things
> out?

So far its been the 'default organiation of the package' determeined
by the package owner. Yes - ideally everyone complies with some
packaging standard [including us] - but it hasn't been there.

For ex: MLK on windows [or any other package on windows - don't comply
with the linux organization]...

> > I agree - There is a bit of autodetection with --with-package-dir
> > option. But if one knows include,lib details and want to specify these
> > details --with-package-include, --with-package-lib are appropriate
> > options.
> >
> > And with default layout - one should expect both modes to work.
> >

> > > What other package ever uses --prefix=.../include? Every one I know of
> > > would expect you to say --prefix=/opt/local/ and it would place headers
> > in
> > > /opt/local/include.
> >
> > Well this package is trying to organize itself within 'cuda include'
> > package orgainzation.  I think this is smilar to the way 'perl' or
> > 'python' modules organize themselves within their respective trees.
> >

> With Python, I say --prefix=/opt/local and it puts things in
> /opt/local/lib/python3.2/site-packages. There is a PYTHONPATH environment
> variable that points to the inner directory, but I have always thought
> --with-foo-dir= should be thought of as matching a --prefix option.

Yes - but some packages don't have installers like cusp thrust.

Satish