Fwd: [PETSC #18705] PETSc and Cygwin License (POSIX layer)

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 12:43:24 CST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>
> > I for one think it should be possible to remove 'make' from the
> > toolchain, leaving us with only win32fe, which we distribute. Thus
> > I think we could abandon cygwin once and for all. I would even be
> > willing to write a \emph{make clone} to accomplish this, even though
> > I am a committed enemy of make (which once TP'ed my house).
>
> For one there is some cygwin code in win32fe to handle cygwin paths
> [its difficult for us avoid doing this - and solely rely on MS path
> scheme in our builds].

Did not know that. It will have to be rewritten.

> And I don't think its an issue of 'make clone'. We use tons of shell
> and other unixy stuff in the build process - within each recursive
> make invocation steps.

We have slowly eliminated the use of UNIX tools from the build. I believe
the last impediment is shell. All this shell code would be converted to
Python, since our 'make clone' would speak Python natively instead of shell.
The March of Progress.

    Matt

> Satish

lead.