Fwd: [PETSC #18705] PETSc and Cygwin License (POSIX layer)

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 4 12:41:25 CST 2008

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> I for one think it should be possible to remove 'make' from the
> toolchain, leaving us with only win32fe, which we distribute. Thus
> I think we could abandon cygwin once and for all. I would even be
> willing to write a \emph{make clone} to accomplish this, even though
> I am a committed enemy of make (which once TP'ed my house).

For one there is some cygwin code in win32fe to handle cygwin paths
[its difficult for us avoid doing this - and solely rely on MS path
scheme in our builds].

And I don't think its an issue of 'make clone'. We use tons of shell
and other unixy stuff in the build process - within each recursive
make invocation steps.

Satish