[MOAB-dev] Problems configuring MOAB with VTK

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 6 09:13:22 CST 2013

I'll take the blame for messing that up, I was playing fast and loose with the VTK configure (thinking that
tools/vtkMOABReader[New] were the only tools relying on it.  More below...

On 02/06/2013 07:58 AM, Roman Putanowicz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This isn't a problem that MOAB is looking for a ParaView library. It has to
>> do with MOAB is looking for VTK 6.0.
> OK I see. Thank you for a quick answer.
>
>> So to have MOAB configure against VTK 5.10 and lower I would replace
>> vtkCommonCore with vtkCommon.
> Well, I have tried this already but then I have problems with AC_HAVE_LIB
> macro which apparently looks for function "main" in the library and the
> check fails.
>
> It looks like I will compile VTK 6.0 (it can look silly but will be
> the fastest way).
>
>   Just as a side note -- how you guys deal with tools
> dependencies -- they just eat my time, especially when I switch to
> a compiler different than gcc or go outside standard packages.
> With the above I mean rather large development environment, where
> tools are not just installed but managed -- tested (and test results
> recorded), build with release and debug version, benchmarked, etc.
> Is it only my impression that keeping tidy and reliable development
> environment is a Sisyphus work.

A very good point, and something I should be more sensitive about.  I'll think on this point the next day or two and
start another thread on it, so stay tuned.

- tim

> Regards,
>
> Roman

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.