[petsc-users] Coupling HYPRE with PETSc for local grid refinement

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 21:50:40 CDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Alan <zhenglun.wei at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Dear Dr. Brown,
>      Thanks for your reply and sorry for confusing you.
>      I was trying to ask if there is an alternative way that I can replace
> the DMDACreate3d in /src/ksp/ksp/example/tutorials/ex45.c with something
> from outside of the PETSc (i.e. HYPRE). DMDACreate3d generates a 3D
> Cartesian grid with uniform grid size. However, I'm trying to import a
> local refined grid from outside of the PETSc (i.e. HYPRE) to replace this
> 3D Cartesian grid with unifrom grid size. Is there any examples for me to
> refer?

Do we have automatic support for this? No. You could of course just use the
Vec/Mat interface, but
it sounds like a lot of coding on your part. I plan to do this eventually
by specifying the data layout over
the grid using PetscSection. However, the really important question here
is, what do you need from the
grid? If you don't need topological queries, just make the Vec/Mat and be
done with it. If you do (which
I imagine), then you need to be specific about what you need.

   Matt