[petsc-dev] PETSc programming model for multi-core systems

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Fri Nov 12 08:09:14 CST 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 15:04, Jed Brown <jed at 59a2.org> wrote:

> The comparison we are more interested is with an equivalent number of MPI
> processes per node.

Whoops, missed your second attachment.  Indeed, that is what I expect,
especially at relatively low node counts.  I think it has been fairly well
demonstrated that straight MPI does alright for weak scaling with decent
sized subdomains.  The trouble, and the place that threading (OpenMP or
otherwise) offers an advantage, is for the very small subdomains you end up
with when strong scaling.

Jed