[Swift-user] Error message on Cray XE6

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Apr 14 09:58:22 CDT 2012

/home is no longer mounted by the compute nodes, per the post-maitenance summary:

"External filesystem dependencies minimized: Compute nodes and the scheduler should now continue to process and complete jobs without the threat of interference of external filesystem outages. /gpfs/pads is only available on login1 through login5; /home is on login and mom nodes only."

So we need to (finally) remove Swift's dependence on $HOME/.globus and $HOME/.globus/scripts in particular.

I suggest - since the swift command already needs to write to "." - that we create a scripts/ directory in "." instead of $HOME/.globus. And this should be used by any provider that would have previously created files below .globus.

I'll echo this to swift-devel and start a thread there to discuss. Its possible there's already a property to cause scripts/ to be created elsewhere. If not, I think we should make one. I think grouping the scripts created by a run into the current dir, along with the swift log, _concurrent, and (in the conventions I use in my run scripts) swiftwork/.

Lorenzo, hopefully we can at least get you a workaround for this soon.

You *might* be able to trick swift into doing this by setting HOME=/lustre/beagle/$USER. I already tried a symlink under .globus and that didnt work, as /home is not even readable by the compute nodes, which in this case need to run the coaster worker (.pl) script.

- Mike