[Swift-user] persitent service + manual workers

wilde at mcs.anl.gov wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 28 21:11:10 CDT 2010

Allan, I think the worker should connect on port 50000 and Swift should connect on port 1984.

I further think that if you are running the service and the workers manually, you probably want to set the sites.xml entry for Swift to coasters-persistent and passive mode, otherwise the service seems to enforce come kind of state machine whereby it expects Swift to operate in automatic mode.

Ive started trying to document this on page 1 of the attached document but this needs more work.

What I found works for me is to run a dummy swift job set to persistent+passive mode, as there is no way to force the standalone service to passive move by command line option. My R scripts in ~wilde/SwiftR/swift/exec/start-swift-workers do this but are a bit complex and in the process of cleanup.  If I get something from the R scripts that you can use I'll send asap.

- Mike