[Swift-user] Re: Copy of parallel scripting paper

Allan Espinosa yecartes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 02:35:58 CST 2009

Hi william,

Yeah.  typically i place a tc.data in my current directory and then
specify it with the "-tc.file ./tc.data" option.

I guess we can run on PBS Torque.  Here's a sample sites.xml config:

<config>
        <pool handle="TERAPORT" sysinfo="INTEL32::LINUX">
                <execution provider="pbs" url="none" />
                <gridftp url="local://localhost" />
                <workdirectory >/home/aespinosa</workdirectory>

                <profile namespace="karajan" key="initialScore">2.02</profile>
                <profile namespace="karajan" key="jobThrottle">1.98</profile>

                <profile namespace="globus" key="queue">fast</profile>
                <profile namespace="globus" key="maxwalltime">01:00:00</profile>
        </pool>
</config>

My initialScore and jobThrottle score enables me to submit a maximum
of 200 jobs at a time.

Btw, I'm cc'ing you to the swift-user mailing list.  Hope you enjoy
tinkering around Swift!

-Allan

2009/11/16 William Emmanuel S. Yu <william.yu at novare.com.hk>:

> I found the tc.data file. geez... its in a strange place! The etc folder
> in the distribution directory.
>
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 16:22 +0800, William Emmanuel Yu wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 02:14 -0600, Allan Espinosa wrote:
>> > I guess that works.  But if you have  a scheduler, you should use it.
>> > we have support for pbs, cobalt and condor.  any unsupported scheduler
>> > can be interfaced with Globus GRAM2 or GRAM4.  From my perspective,
>> > the cluster sysads should make it easy for its users to submit jobs :)
>> >
>> Ok right now. That systems uses Torque and is really maintained at this
>> point. So it was a real challenge using it. But, I managed to write a
>> script with bash and mpirun that got the job done. However, I did
>> encounter a lot of dependency issues. Haha. As expected.
>>
>> Do you have a document on torque integration? At least a quick one.
>>
>> Btw, I am using the default swift binary on my laptop with no installed
>> scheduler. I ran into the following error:
>>
>> "Could not find any valid host for task "Task(type=UNKNOWN,
>> identity=urn:cog-1258359742934)" with constraints {tr=convert,
>> filenames=[Ljava.lang.String;@2de41d, trfqn=convert,
>> filecache=org.griphyn.vdl.karajan.lib.cache.CacheMapAdapter at db4bcf}"
>>
>> Which is strange as I am not using any scheduler.
>>
>> Thanks!

> William Emmanuel S. Yu (杨怀义)
> Novare Technologies Inc.
> 6th Floor Peninsula Court Building,
> Makati Avenue corner Paseo de Roxas Avenue,
> Makati City, 1226 Philippines
> email  :  william dot yu at novare dot com dot hk
> web    :  www.novare.com.hk
>
> Confidentiality Issue:  This message is intended only for the use of the
> addressee and may contain information that is privileged and
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
> notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly
> prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please
> notify us immediately by reply and delete this message from your system.

--
Allan M. Espinosa <http://allan.88-mph.net/blog>
PhD student, Computer Science