[Swift-user] Teraport question

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 19 18:13:02 CDT 2009

On 3/19/09 4:54 PM, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> I guess the explanation above in the user guide is a little unclear. The
> main use for coasterWorkerMaxwalltime is to put a cap on the walltime
> for the workers, which may otherwise get a walltime that would cause the
> queuing system to bark.

So is the following summary correct (as far as it goes)?

"If coasterWorkerMaxwalltime is specified for a site (which must be
using coasters) then it determines the wall time that will be requested
from the local scheduler when the coaster worker job is submitted. This
will override all other time specifications for the worker job, and is
typically the easiest way to manage the time requests for these jobs.

"If coasterWorkerMaxwalltime is *not* specified then the maxWallTime
computed for the worker is based on ???
- app jobs queued, and their tc.data maxwalltime specs?
- site maxwalltime? multiplied by some scale factor?

"If no times are specified, but a queue is specified for the site, then
the wall time allowed the worker job is determined by the local
scheduler, based on the requested queue."

I'm looking for some spec like this to clarify the whole issue.

Its that spec in the middle that seems complicated, but if
coasterWorkerMaxwalltime overrides all other specs, I think that will
meet most users (and my) needs.