[Swift-user] Teraport question

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 19 16:42:43 CDT 2009

I may have asked too soon, as I just found this in the user guide:

"coasterWorkerMaxwalltime specifies the maxwalltime to be used when
submitting coaster workers. This profile entry is used by the coaster
execution provider. If this entry is not specified, the coaster provider
will compute a maxwalltime based on the maxwalltime of jobs submitted.
(since Swift 0.9) "

Which seems to leave a lot of room for interpretation, but is the
following reasonable?

If you can, just specify coasterWorkerMaxwalltime, and that will go to
the resource manager scheduler in the absence of any other times.

But, if you are running jobs on many sites, some of which specify
coasters and some of which dont, then I take the above to mean that
coasters will compute a max walltime base on whatever jobs it sees for a
given site at the moment???? And how does it treat maxWalltime for an
app (from tc.data) vs. a site?

Can you provide some simple guidelines to make this whole issue of
queues and times easy to understand and specify?