[Swift-user] Does SWIFT_JOBDIR_PATH work for output?

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 15 23:44:34 CDT 2009

Does the env var SWIFT_JOBDIR_PATH set the jobdir for each job in a
script to this value, and use it for output as well as input?  Or is it
only used for input?

I have it set in tc.data like this:

bgp015          runrama
/intrepid-fs0/users/wilde/persistent/oops/oops-r055/bin/runrama.sh
INSTALLED       INTEL32::LINUX  env::SWIFT_JOBDIR_PATH="/dev/shm"

...to use the local ramdisk on BGP nodes.

But as my jobs run, I can see that they are writing their log data, line
by line, to the output directories of the shared workdirectory. Thats
the overhead I was hoping to avoid with SWIFT_JOBDIR_PATH.

Or, do I have it set wrong?

- Mike

SWIFT_JOBDIR_PATH - set in env namespace profiles. If set, then Swift
will use the path specified here as a worker-node local temporary
directory to copy input files to before running a job. If unset, Swift
will keep input files on the site-shared filesystem. In some cases,
copying to a worker-node local directory can be much faster than having
applications access the site-shared filesystem directly.