[Swift-user] Running swift from firewalled host

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Nov 16 11:39:23 CST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 11:25 -0600, Michael Wilde wrote:
> Will swift running on a host with limited inbound port connectivity be
> able to run jobs on a WS-GRAM site?
>
> Based on the Globus firewall wiki page

Link?

>  seems it should work (see below),
> but thought I would ask before trying it.
>
> - Mike
>
> WS-GRAM:
>
> Connections back to client (controllable ephemeral port to controllable
> ephemeral port) required if executable or data staged from client or
> output from job sent back to client.
>
> ^^^ I assume Swift does not do either of these?

Yes, however what that text fails to mention is that only polling for
job status will work (not notifications). Swift does not use polling, so
you need a an open port for the notification server.

> Port 8443/tcp is default and configurable.
>
> GirdFTP:
>
> In the case of a single data channel, the connection is established from
> a controllable ephemeral port on the client to a controllable ephemeral
> port on the server.
>
> ^^^ Is this is what Swift does?

Yes. So that's one additional port for each concurrent transfer.
Basically you need a reasonable port range.