[Swift-user] Performance of Swift

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 2 18:47:44 CDT 2008

We dont have any recent data that I know of comparing Swift performance
to other workflow systems.

When executing a serial workflow, performance will depend a lot on what
job and data provider you are using.

What kind of application are you considering, and what kind of latency
between jobs are you looking for?

What execution environment are you interested in? (GRAM, PBS, local, or
something different?)

Whats the profile of your jobs in terms of input data size, job
duration, output data size?

All of these will affect the performance of a serial job pipeline of the
kind you describe.

If your procedures behave in a streaming manner (in that they start
writing output while still reading input) then perhaps you want to run
them as a UNIX pipeline instead of separate procedures under Swift.

- Mike