[Swift-user] Performance of Swift

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 3 11:05:57 CDT 2008

Hi,
There are several papers out there from our group that shows different
aspects of performance of Swift.  Here are a few:

    * http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~iraicu/publications/2008_NOVA08_book-chapter_Swift.pdf
          o Figure 9: Shows the memory footprint per job (aka tasks, or
            nodes in the DAG graph)
                + shows memory footprint of 3.2KB per node
          o Figure 18: Shows a large scale application
                + 20K tasks on 200 CPUs with average task lengths of 200
                  seconds is a comfortable range for Swift and Falkon
                + we have more recent results, not published yet, that
                  has 16K tasks on 2048 CPUs with an average task length
                  of 87 seconds which worked well
    * http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~iraicu/publications/2007_SWF07_Swift.pdf
          o Figure 6: Shows the speedup achieved with different task lengths
                + Conclusion is that using multi-level scheduling with
                  the Falkon provider, even tasks in the range of
                  seconds long can achieve good speedup
          o Figure 7: Shows the throughput in tasks/sec achieved by Swift
                + shows Swift achieving 50+ tasks/sec throughputs using
                  Falkon
                + the paragraph right after this figure mentions that
                  Swift running directly with GRAM2 and PBS can achieve
                  2 jobs/sec; the implication of this is that jobs
                  typically take 15~60 seconds to startup, which
                  reflects the cost of scheduling, scheduling cycles,
                  and local resource manager's (LRM) time to setup the
                  remote nodes; there are also limitations on how many
                  jobs can be submitted at a time, as each job queued
                  might consume some resources on the LRM, or there
                  might be policies in place that limit the number of
                  jobs that can be queued; this means that aggressive
                  throttling must take place, which in practice, reduces
                  the sustained rate that Swift can submit/execute jobs
                  to a single site, to even lower than 2 jobs/sec

So, to answer you question, the performance of Swift (and any other
workflow system) will heavily rely on how efficient you can dispatch
jobs/tasks to remote resources, how long jobs/tasks are, how data
intensive the application is, and how much data movement must happen
before the job runs and after.  If you have a fast enough file system,
and your application execution times are small, you can expect anywhere
from 1 to 50 jobs/sec from Swift, depending on what technologies you use
to interface between Swift and the remote resources (e.g. GRAM, PBS,
Condor, Falkon, etc).

Cheers,
Ioan

J A wrote:
> Hi All:
>

> Based on my reading, the performance from execution a swift workflow
> depends on the parallelism that a workflow has.
>

> If I have a workflow that contains several processors where each
> processor (procedure) depends on the previous one (output of a
> processor "A" is the input for processors "B" and so on.)
>

> How the performance of using swift in this case compare to other
> systems that execute workflows where there isn't any parallelism in
> the workflow?
>

> --
> Thanks,
>
> Jamal