[Swift-user] Performance of Swift

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 2 18:40:34 CDT 2008

The swift engine itself should be about equally fast (or equally slow,
depending on perspective) whether you have N jobs that are sequential or
N jobs that are parallel.

However, there may be scheduling constraints (such as "don't run more
than 2 parallel jobs on this site right now") that may interfere with
that.

You can measure a large portion of the Swift overhead by using something
like -dryrun on the command line. Some of it is constant overhead (i.e.
the jvm + engine startup), and some of it is nearly linear in the number
of jobs (whether parallel or sequential).

In terms of comparisons with other systems, I am not aware of any such
recent comparisons. Others may know different.

Mihael