[Swift-user] Re: No response of Swift run

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 2 12:30:52 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 12:22 -0500, lixi at uchicago.edu wrote:
> >Could you do the following for me:
> >1. edit dist/vdsk-xyz/bin/swift
> >2. replace the 'OPTIONS=' line with 'OPTIONS="-Xdebug
> >-
> Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8888,server=y,suspend=n"
> ' (a
> >single line) (you may need to do this every time you
> compile swift)
> >3. then run it again and let me know when it hangs. Don't
> kill the
> >hanging workflow. Let it hang instead.
> >4. Also let me know what machine you run this on.
>
> Now I'm running this workflow again on login.ci.uchicago.edu.
>
> Meanwhile, I launched another swift run to test a single
> site, but I got such error:
> [lixi at login GLOW]$ swift -sites.file GLOW.sites.xml -tc.file
> tc.data workflowtest.swift
> ERROR: transport error 202: bind failed: Address already in
> use ["transport.c",L41]
> ERROR: JDWP Transport dt_socket failed to initialize,
> TRANSPORT_INIT(510) ["debugInit.c",L500]
> JDWP exit error JVMTI_ERROR_INTERNAL(113): No transports
> initializedFATAL ERROR in native method: JDWP No transports
> initialized, jvmtiError=JVMTI_ERROR_INTERNAL(113)
>
> Is there something to do with this option?

It has everything to do with that option :)

As far as I remember, things should continue to run ok (except for the
debugger not being started), so you should ignore the error message. If
swift doesn't run, then you could make two copies of the swift startup
script (say swift-debugger with the option and swift without the
option). Then if you want the debugger on, use swift-debugger, and for
normal runs, use swift.