[Swift-user] tcp.port.range in Swift 0.6

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Aug 28 10:09:54 CDT 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Andriy Fedorov wrote:

> It appears to me that Swift 0.6 does not handle properly custom
> GLOBUS_TCP_PORT_RANGE.

I just tried 0.6 and a head build from about 24h ago on my laptop, and
both appear to respect GLOBUS_TCP_PORT_RANGE for the purposes of gram4
notification sinks

Can you give more details about what you see? For example, the output of
/usr/bin/env and the lines that you see in netstat -pant, the sites.xml
file that you are using.

> I still have the env variable, and tried to specify the port range in
> swift.properties, and I tried passing it as -tcp.port.range, but Swift
> keeps opening ports outside the specified range, as reported by
> netstat. The same simple test script works with 0.5, but not with 0.6.

Note that GLOBUS_TCP_PORT_RANGE controls which ports are used for server
sockets; it does not control which ports are used for outbound
connections. There is a different variable, GLOBUS_TCP_SOURCE_PORT_RANGE
that should control the latter.