[Swift-devel] Re: Clarifications regarding a GSoC project idea [swift]

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 17 16:42:42 CDT 2011

Hi Yadu,

A good source of ideas for how to do map reduce in Swift might be the work that Ed Walker did to implement map reduce in his parallel shell:

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1645175

and

http://sites.google.com/site/ewalker544/research-2/dataflowshell

(where you can download Ed's parallel bash)

I think there are two main (and somewhat separate) aspects here:

- how to work both with and without name/value pairs: Swift has no intrinsic name/value concept, and one can find good use cases both with and without keys.
Note that the separate project to add associative arrays to Swift is one way to integrate the concept of keys

- how to do a reduction trees (especially for non-key-based workflows) in a manner that reduces the amount of data and avoids the requirement of sending the output of every map operation back to a single site for reduction

I should also mention that this project is one of the more research-oriented and less focused projects on our list. There are several more concrete projects that you may also find interesting.  So if you find this one fascinating by all means keep thinking about it. But if you want something more concrete I can disscuss a few other possibilities with you.

- Mike