[Swift-devel] Clarifications regarding a GSoC project idea [swift]

Yadu Nand yadudoc1729 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 16:07:42 CDT 2011

Hi,

I am interested in working on the project on Implementing efficient
Map-Reduce models using the Swift parallel scripting language as
mentioned on the ideas page[1]. I fairly understand the map-reduce
concept and have done a toy erlang implementation [2].

As of now, I have gotten swift compiled and running. I am also going
through the papers on swift [3]  and map-reduce [4] [5]. Any help or
directions to get a clear picture of the problem at hand would be
greatly appreciated.

Secondly, I am working on a wrapper for RBUDP[6] on XIO (for college
project, as part of a team). If there are any projects that could be done
around profiling GridFTP over UDT and RBUDP separately and
performance comparisons, I would be interested in that as well.
Implementing RBUDP driver for XIO was mentioned here [7]

I am not quite sure where exactly I should be mailing this, so if this
gets posted to the wrong mailing list please excuse my clumsiness.

[1] http://dev.globus.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2011_Ideas
[2] https://github.com/yadudoc/erlang/blob/master/mapred.erl
[3] http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/papers/SwiftParallelScripting.pdf
[4] http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce-osdi04.pdf
[5] Hadoop: The Definitive Guide , O'Reilly Media (Chapter 6)
[6] http://www.evl.uic.edu/cavern/papers/cluster2002.pdf
[7] http://dev.globus.org/wiki/Project_Ideas

--
Thanks and Regards,