[Swift-devel] Swiftconfig merge / changes

David Kelly dk0966 at cs.ship.edu
Wed Feb 2 02:44:51 CST 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 1:04 AM, jon.monette at gmail.com <jon.monette at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Having a java process call a shell script which in turns starts java
> processes may not be the best plan of action.

That is a good point. Perhaps we should think about integrating what
swiftrun does/should do directly into swift. It may be better than building
up layers of scripts around it. I think it could done in a way that is
backwards compatible. We would have to discuss the details, but for example,
if you specify -sites.file it will use that exclusively. Otherwise you could
pass it a -site <sitename> and it will know to look in $HOME/.swift for
templates, to replace values in templates with environment variables where
requested, and so on. There's more to it, but that's the basic idea.

Then swiftconfig just has to worry about managing the config files. It would
simplify the test suite. Swift would be more flexible.. and maybe it would
reduce the number of people having to write custom shell scripts to do
things like this.

David