[Swift-devel] Using coaster provider with jobmanager ssh:pbs

wilde at mcs.anl.gov wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jun 4 21:00:56 CDT 2010

When you use this configuration for running jobs from a submit host to a PBS cluster using ssh to launch the coaster service on the PBS login host, you need to create a GSI proxy (using grid-proxy-init) on both the client and on the remote login host, using the same certificate.

  <pool handle="coasterpads">
   <execution provider="coaster" url="login1.pads.ci.uchicago.edu" jobmanager="ssh:pbs"/>
   <profile namespace="globus" key="maxtime">3000</profile>
   <profile namespace="globus" key="workersPerNode">8</profile>
   <profile namespace="globus" key="slots">1</profile>
   <profile namespace="globus" key="nodeGranularity">1</profile>
   <profile namespace="globus" key="maxNodes">1</profile>
   <profile namespace="globus" key="queue">fast</profile>
   <profile namespace="karajan" key="jobThrottle">0.5</profile>
   <profile namespace="karajan" key="initialScore">10000</profile>
   <filesystem provider="ssh" url="login1.pads.ci.uchicago.edu"/>
   <workdirectory>/home/wilde/swift/lab</workdirectory>
 </pool>

Arjun, this is, I think, what was causing your workflow to fail.

I thought, that in the past, we used to get at least a GSI (grid security infrastructure) error in the detailed log file. But I don't see that in this case.

Let me know if creating proxies on both sides works for you. Be sure to create it on the right PADS login host.

David and Arjun, can you coordinate on integrating this use case into the tutorial (and eventually the Users Guide)? I suggested we do a series of "profiles" (with diagrams) to show the various ways of running Swift locally and remotely, and provide accompanying site file entries. Dennis, when you get started next week and try these cases, we'll want to find a way to do automated tests for them.

Thanks,

Mike