[Swift-devel] Re: Worker connection

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 13 11:35:59 CDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 11:30 -0500, Jonathan Monette wrote:
> Hello,
>      How does the worker decide what connection to connect to?  Right
> now what I think it does is it runs ifconfig and greps the inet address
> and then test each of these connections.  Is this correct?  When I am
> running on PADS it seems that the worker always chooses the wrong
> connection to the service.  It seems to choose the UBS0 connection where
> the correct connection is the ib0 connection.  Is there a way that maybe
> the worker can be fixed to choose a better connection or the correct
> connection?  This seems to be only happening on PADS.

That was temporary. Initially it would use the same address as the url
in sites.xml. Then I added the "try all interfaces" thing, but in some
cases the connect on certain wrong addresses does not fail quickly
enough and has to timeout instead, which usually takes a few minutes. So
that got disabled and only the frist address is used now (unless
overridden - see below).

You can say <profile namespace="globus"
key="internalHostname">x.y.z.w</profile> in sites.xml

Mihael