[Swift-devel] Workflow Scheduling

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Apr 4 13:17:58 CDT 2010

Hi Bhaskar,

Swift is a scripting language which you could use to actually run cloud-based workflows.

But its not a simulation language, in that it does only real execution and doesn't perform any simulation-based modeling or mathematical calculations of simulated quantities like run times or queue lengths.

Conceivably, one could use Swift to evaluate some light-weight simulated approaches (ie, by testing with "dummy" jobs or by running many simulated dummy jobs on each remote compute core to simulate a much larger resource pool). And then get some statistics from Swift's log plot generator. Whether this is of use for your research would need to be examined in much greater depth, compared to using a true simulator.

I don't know anything about the other tools you mention, so I cant comment on them. Perhaps others in this list can.

Regards,

Mike