[Swift-devel] Fwd: [gram-user] GRAM5 Alpha2

Stuart Martin smartin at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 28 11:17:23 CDT 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at Jul 28, 10:56 AM, Michael Wilde wrote:

> Allan Espinosa will try to test AMPL workflows for the SEE project
> there this week.
>
> I may try a few others time permitting, but likely not this week.
>
> Questions, Stu:
> - do you want testing through Condor-G with the grid_monitor as well
> as native?

I'd say to use GRAM5 as is best for you/your users.  We've done some
condor-g testing with and without the grid-monitor.  We did with, just
for backward compatibility.  But without is recommended.  The grid-
monitor is no longer needed with GRAM5.

So, if you have users that use condor-g, then submit GRAM5 jobs with
that.  But, turn off using the grid-monitor.
	http://dev.globus.org/wiki/GRAM5_Scalability_Results#Test_7:_gram5-
condor-g

But if it is "better" to submit them natively, through cog API I
assume(?), then do that.

> - for native testing of GRAM5 (ie through the plain pre-WS GRAM
> interface) are then any guidelines for how many jobs we can safely
> submit at once, or should we not worry about limits? (ie sending a
> few thousand jobs is OK?)

Don't worry about it and submit away.  We need to know the limits/
breaking points.

But, to show what we've done in our testing, here are the results from
our 5 client tests (each running in a separate VM) hitting the same
GRAM5 service.
	http://dev.globus.org/wiki/GRAM5_Scalability_Results#Test_4:_5-client-
seg_2
	http://dev.globus.org/wiki/GRAM5_Scalability_Results#Test_5:_5-client-
seg-diffusers_2

They submitted 5000 jobs over a 1 hour window to the same GRAM5
service.  The load on the head node never went above 4 on the first
and 7 on the second.