[Swift-devel] Re: fun with osg [Swift-devel Digest, Vol 23, Issue 12]

Mats Rynge rynge at renci.org
Fri Jan 16 08:49:02 CST 2009

Michael Wilde wrote:
> I'm assisting a UChicago application group that we work with (Open
> Protein Simulator, OOPS application) to run on OSG, initially in the
> Engage VO.
>
> I've read this thread and a related one, and was wondering is you can
> send an update on the following issues:
>
> - where to obtain Mats's script to generate sites.xml for Engage?

http://www.renci.org/~rynge/osg/swift/ress-to-site-catalog

I'm trying to get the contrib agreement signed, but working something
like that through the university legal system will take some time.

Note that the script depends on having condor_status in your path.

> - can that script be run for other VOs such as OSG, OSGEDU?

Yes. Try:

./ress-to-site-catalog --vo=OSG

Or,

./ress-to-site-catalog --help

> - has progress been made on running coasters on OSG?

We did a quick try, but ran into some problems. Ben knows more.

In general, I think you will run into problem on some sites using
managed-fork, as they might kill the forwarding process you put on their
submit nodes.

> - what are good settings for Swift without coasters to avoid overheating
> head nodes in the absence of Swift gridmonitor support?

I'm still trying to get a feel for this. I think it is a good idea to
start with pretty conservative per-site settings, and try to use many
sites instead.

--
Mats Rynge
Renaissance Computing Institute <http://www.renci.org>