[Swift-devel] Status of coasters

Mats Rynge rynge at renci.org
Fri Feb 13 12:34:55 CST 2009

Ioan Raicu wrote:
> Although, we and others have been doing this (multi-level scheduling)
> for a while now, using Coasters, Falkon, Condor glide-ins, etc... I
> don't see what would be different, to set up a separate WS-GRAM
> interface on a site that doesn't support it. Its just another method, to
> do multi-level scheduling.

No. The problem here is that you want to directly interact with the lrm.
This will break several things such as accounting, and lrm policies. It
is similar to use jobmanger-fork to run condor_submit. Even though it is
technically possibly to do so, most OSG sites would find such a behavior
unacceptable and probably ban the user/VO doing it.

This is different from for example glideins, where you use the existing
interface and lrm to get slots allocated to you, and then your job is
actually the glidein. The WS-GRAM on the side would be the same iif you
submitted it to the lrm, started it on compute nodes and only used
jobmanager-fork (but only one real job at once). This would obviously
not be very helpful as many compute nodes are behind NAT.

You really should not user jobmanager-fork for anything except simple
setup/cleanup jobs.

--
Mats Rynge
Renaissance Computing Institute <http://www.renci.org>