[Swift-devel] Status of coasters

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 13 12:38:36 CST 2009

I am not arguing for adding more levels to the scheduling decisions, but
was merely pointing out to Mats that we have been bypassing the main
schedulers of various systems for a while now, and that the reason for
not following through with installing WS-GRAM should not be because of
this. In fact, I don't support the idea of installing a user level GRAM
per site. Its not even clear to me, how you would make that happen in a
generic way, as GRAM needs to be configured to be used in conjunction
with other LRMs, SGE, PBS, Condor, etc... so you not only need to
install GRAM, but also configure it against another LRM, that you might
know little about where its installed, the paths to the various logs
(which GRAM needs), etc. If Coaster can be made to run transparently and
works well enough for production, then Coaster can run on top of GRAM2
just fine, as the load it will impose on GRAM is lower than what the
same app would impose if it were to go directly to GRAM.

Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:

> ----- Ioan Raicu wrote:
> > Although, we and others have been doing this (multi-level scheduling)
> > for a while now, using Coasters, Falkon, Condor glide-ins, etc... I
> > don't see what would be different, to set up a separate WS-GRAM
> > interface on a site that doesn't support it. Its just another method,
> > to do multi-level scheduling.
>
> I suppose too much multi unnecessarily complicates things.

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department
University of Chicago