[Swift-devel] scheduler stuff for Google Summer of Code 2009

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed Feb 11 14:33:16 CST 2009

>From the stuff below, some are quite researchy and so probably better for
an academic student project rather than a google project. The two that
seem fairly clearly defined are:

For this, there may be some work here doing grunt work implementation of
tweakable parameters and things like that. I don't know if it would take
up a whole summer, though.

> Another scheduler-related set of projects relates to algorithms around
> coasters: - how to manage (grow and shrink) the size of coaster pools -
> how to size the time requests for the workers (perhaps dynamically) -
> how the current dynamic throttle works for coasters - and probably many
> more.

> - running Swift on clouds like E2C and Azure

Tim Freeman has done some work standing up clusters on multiple EC2 nodes,
so that the multiple nodes are exposed through a single (perhaps GRAM?)
interface. So putting Swift on the front of that seems straightforward to
define.