[Swift-devel] scheduler stuff for Google Summer of Code 2009

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 11 13:24:01 CST 2009

These all sound good.

Another scheduler-related set of projects relates to algorithms around
coasters:

- how to manage (grow and shrink) the size of coaster pools
- how to size the time requests for the workers (perhaps dynamically)
- how the current dynamic throttle works for coasters
- and probably many more.

Some more areas:

- a detailed evaluation and tuning of the throttle heuristics for
many-site workflows

- automatically clustering more diverse dags, and pipelining

- running Swift on clouds like E2C and Azure

- scaling swift to 1M+ task workflows, efficiently (streaming the mappers)

- service oriented workflows

- extending CIO techniques back to grid environments

- creating a lightweight "embedded swift" VM for running workflows from
*within* perl, python, R, etc.

These cover a wide space of useful-to-crazy, easy-to-hard, etc.  Just
tossing them out.

- Mike