[Swift-devel] scheduler stuff for Google Summer of Code 2009

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 11 14:41:17 CST 2009

Ben Clifford wrote:

>> - running Swift on clouds like E2C and Azure
>>

> Tim Freeman has done some work standing up clusters on multiple EC2 nodes,
> so that the multiple nodes are exposed through a single (perhaps GRAM?)
> interface. So putting Swift on the front of that seems straightforward to
> define.

Back in 2007 (yes, its been almost 2 years since we tried this),
Catalin, Tim Freeman, and I got MolDyn (Nika's molecular dynamics app)
running through Swift + Falkon + Workspace Service + EC2 + NFS. At the
time, they were just rolling out support for PBS/GRAM, which means that
for a simpler deployment scenario, you might be able to use GRAM/PBS
instead of Falkon.

We had a wiki setup to keep track of our progress:
http://dev.globus.org/wiki/Incubator/Falkon/EC2
http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/wiki/bin/view/VDS/DslCS/Falkon_EC2

but then Catalin found a job, and moved on to other things, and I never
had time to carry the work forward. It sounds like an interesting
scenario to support, with minimal end-user intervention.

Ioan

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory