[Swift-devel] scheduler stuff for Google Summer of Code 2009

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed Feb 11 05:39:40 CST 2009

Google Summer of Code 2009 mentor applications open in a couple of weeks.
dev.globus likely will be applying again. I have a few ideas for Swift
projects within dev.globus that I'd like to mentor.

One idea that I'm kinda fuzzy on but there might be interesting work to do
is implementing more interesting scheduler behaviour.

Various people have talked in the past about these, that I think have some
decent level of merit:

 a) changing ordering of execution of swift-level jobs based on how many
     other swift-level jobs depend on that first job

 b) reordering stageins and stageouts so to allow (in addition to the
     present as-they-come (I think) policy) "prefer stageins" (which would
     get more jobs going sooner, but incurring an expense in that
     stageouts would happen slower, and in our present restart model
     reduce the speed as which jobs complete enough for restart), and
     "prefer stageouts", which would get completed results out to submit
     side faster, at the expense of job execution speed.

 c) data affinity - there was some messing round with this, but it
     resulted in code that did not work (which is fine for that project,
     as it was not production code oriented, but not for committing to
     the codebase). So potentially this could be reimplemented or the
     existing code tidied up as part of this.

Comments and additional ideas...