[Swift-devel] Problems with coasters and managedfork jobmanager

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 10 22:54:08 CST 2009

Sorry, I still dont get it. Did the globusrun command below work for
you? It doesnt work for me, and doesnt match the syntax of what I
understand globusrun to expect.

I was not able to get coaster-bootstrap.jar.pl into an RSL string for
globusrun. I don't think thats possible, because globusrun gets confused
by the single and double quotes in that file.

Unless Im missing something, as far as I can tell you can only test this
from API level. Has it worked for you, from inside swift, say from
ServiceManager?

On 2/10/09 8:22 PM, Mihael Hategan wrote:
> ----- Michael Wilde <wilde at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>> I dont know what to do, re:
>
> I mean literally do the globusrun thing.

>>> http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/~hategan/coaster-bootstrap.jar.pl
>> OK, fetched that.
>>
>> Is there a patch for this? Modifed ServiceManager to use this for
>> bootstrapping?
>
> There is no patch. Just that script.
>
>>> I suggest trying
>>>
>>> globusrun perl -e "`cat coaster-bootstrap.jar.pl`"
>> Do you mean put perl, -e, and the contents of the .pl file into an RSL
>> string and run through globusrun?
>
> That would do. But I suspect the above command will do that.
>
>> perl -e "`cat coaster-bootstrap.jar.pl`"
>> on the command line gives what you show below.
>
> Yes, that I checked.
>
> The point is to run the same through a few job managers and see
> whether they choke on it or not. If it goes through as many sites
> as we can send to, then we declare this a winner.
> If not, we go back to the drawing board.

I think thats a good idea, but I have not yet found a way to do this
from a shell. I'm skeptical that there's a gram client command that will
take the required perl command from the command line

Can you encode the script without embedded quotes?

- Mike

---

The output I get is:

com$ globusrun -r tp-grid1.ci.uchicago.edu perl -e "`cat
coaster-bootstrap.jar.pl`"

ERROR: too many request strings specified

Syntax: globusrun [-help] [-f RSL file] [-s][-b][-d][...] [-r RM] [RSL]

Use -help to display full usage
com$