[Swift-devel] Problems with coasters and managedfork jobmanager

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 6 09:19:39 CST 2009

On 2/6/09 8:04 AM, Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:
>
>> I see Mats's note in a prio mail about concern that the managed-fork mechanism
>> may kill the coaster service, but no comments about script parsing errors.
>
> The condor jobmanager deals quite poorly with whitespace in arguments, in
> a way that I cannot see how to work around. (I've run into a very similar
> problem when looking at making Swift run without any shared filesystem).
>
> This bit almost definitely doesn't work with existing jobmanager-condor.
>
>>            js.setExecutable("/bin/bash");
>>            js.addArgument("-c");
>>            js.addArgument(loadBootstrapScript());

I see. The problem turns out to be the newlines in the command script.
It can be reproduced with globusrun:

com$ globusrun -o -r
tp-grid1.ci.uchicago.edu:2119/jobmanager-managedfork
'&(executable="/bin/echo") (arguments= "hello world")'
hello world

com$ globusrun -o -r
tp-grid1.ci.uchicago.edu:2119/jobmanager-managedfork
'&(executable="/bin/echo") (arguments= "hello
 >  world")'

ERROR: Failed to parse command file (line 10).
GRAM Job failed because the job failed when the job manager attempted to
run it (error code 17)
com$

--

I'll make a brief attempt to work around this, but most likely wont be
able to, as you say.

- Mike