[Swift-devel] Problems with coasters and managedfork jobmanager

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Feb 6 08:04:22 CST 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:

> I see Mats's note in a prio mail about concern that the managed-fork mechanism
> may kill the coaster service, but no comments about script parsing errors.

The condor jobmanager deals quite poorly with whitespace in arguments, in
a way that I cannot see how to work around. (I've run into a very similar
problem when looking at making Swift run without any shared filesystem).

This bit almost definitely doesn't work with existing jobmanager-condor.

>            js.setExecutable("/bin/bash");
>            js.addArgument("-c");
>            js.addArgument(loadBootstrapScript());

GRAM provided an update package to VDT/OSG the other day that changes
condor jobmanager whitespace handling so that it may be possible to make
it work. See this thread:
http://lists.globus.org/pipermail/gram-user/2009-January/000790.html

With the present deployed infrastructure, one approach might be to have
the bootstrap script staged in as a file using file transfer mechanisms
(in the quickest hack case, staged in at the same time as wrapper.sh and
seq.sh by swift, though this will not work if you are trying to use the
coaster filesystem provider), allowing the shell command to have spaces
removed.