[Swift-devel] Coaster capabilities for release 0.9

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 21 21:03:26 CDT 2009

I don't want to through Falkon back in the mix, but Falkon does have an
emulator as well, that can probably do the simulation of multiple
clusters as you said you wanted. This is assuming Coasters will run over
Falkon, and you need significant effort to implement it in Coaster or a
fake provider.

Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 15:02 -0500, Mihael Hategan wrote:
>

>> The kind of testing needed to ensure stability is not different from
>> what we've discussed and what we already know: we'll need to run
>> synthetic tests on various sites, and we'll need to run existing
>> applications on various sites. This is not new.
>>

> There would be an addition that I would like to make there. In a sense,
> the simulator I sent last week was part of an effort to test coasters
> without using any remote resources, so that specifically problems with
> the allocation algorithm can be isolated. In addition to that I'm
> contemplating the idea of having a fake provider that can quickly
> simulate one or more large clusters. I'm not sure how doable that is,
> and how many useful results that can provide for real life applications,
> but if done I think it would provide timely feedback on a number of
> components in the coaster code.

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department