[Swift-devel] Coaster capabilities for release 0.9

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 21 20:53:50 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 15:02 -0500, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> The kind of testing needed to ensure stability is not different from
> what we've discussed and what we already know: we'll need to run
> synthetic tests on various sites, and we'll need to run existing
> applications on various sites. This is not new.

There would be an addition that I would like to make there. In a sense,
the simulator I sent last week was part of an effort to test coasters
without using any remote resources, so that specifically problems with
the allocation algorithm can be isolated. In addition to that I'm
contemplating the idea of having a fake provider that can quickly
simulate one or more large clusters. I'm not sure how doable that is,
and how many useful results that can provide for real life applications,
but if done I think it would provide timely feedback on a number of
components in the coaster code.