[Swift-devel] Coaster capabilities for release 0.9

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Apr 21 12:44:40 CDT 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:

> If we are willing to insert more point releases between 0.9 and 1.0, or we
> dont attach special significance to 1.0, I am happy to let 0.9 go. Otherwise,
> I want to delay 0.9. Thats a separate but related question, and good to decide
> before we call the next release 0.9.

My assumption was that 0.9 + 0.1 = 0.10. I don't see anything special
about the release after 0.9 compared to any other release.

> That aside, I want to set a firm goal that a coaster feature we can call
> production-quality be in the next point release after the one currently in
> candidate state.

The release policy so far has been every 2 months or so, there should be a
release; it is time based and not feature based.

I don't think that should change.

>From a release managers perspective that means in 2 months, I release what
is in the SVN heads, rather than delay based on some feature not arriving
yet; in the case of the feature not being ready, then it appears in the
next point release after it eventually is ready.

Thats the same policy as (for example) the provenance code that I am
working on for pc3 - if its in trunk, it gets released; if its not in
trunk, it doesn't get released.

Lots happens in Swift in 2 months and its unfortunate to withhold that
from users.

That does not mean that it is not worthwhile setting coasters as a goal
for the next release, but it means it should be in the sense of "coasters
in 2 months time" not "0.10 release will be delayed until coasters are
ready".