[Swift-devel] Coaster capabilities for release 0.9

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 21 13:05:02 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 12:24 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
> Raising the urgency of testing coasters for 0.9 is inconsistent with
> saying there is "little point in putting coaster changes into a release".
>
> If we are willing to insert more point releases between 0.9 and 1.0, or
> we dont attach special significance to 1.0, I am happy to let 0.9 go.
> Otherwise, I want to delay 0.9.

We have been attaching no special significance to release numbers. We
increment them by one and we have no roadmap (i.e. something that says
1.0 will have these and these features and they will have been tested
extensively).

>  Thats a separate but related question,
> and good to decide before we call the next release 0.9.
>
> That aside, I want to set a firm goal that a coaster feature we can call
> production-quality be in the next point release after the one currently
> in candidate state. Its OK to have known limitations, but it should do a
> useful core set of things very well, with tests to validate it, and
> documented so users know what they can and can not expect it to do. (Ie
> when to use it and when not).
>
> I can see that this may take 8 weeks or more. I still want a list of the
> known coaster improvements needed, and a time estimate for doing them,
> and design discussion on any features that need it (such as coasters
> that work well on OSG). Otherwise we cant tell if coasters needs 8 weeks
> or 80 weeks. I started such a list in prior emails.
>
> Mihael, please merge that with a list of issues you see from emailed
> reports, other issues you know of or have concerns about, and send out
> to swift-devel.

Which should I rather do now, continue implementing block allocations,
or sort out discussions about coasters from the mailing list?

(i.e. would you please let me do my job?)