[Swift-devel] Coaster capabilities for release 0.9

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 21 12:24:55 CDT 2009

Raising the urgency of testing coasters for 0.9 is inconsistent with
saying there is "little point in putting coaster changes into a release".

If we are willing to insert more point releases between 0.9 and 1.0, or
we dont attach special significance to 1.0, I am happy to let 0.9 go.
Otherwise, I want to delay 0.9. Thats a separate but related question,
and good to decide before we call the next release 0.9.

That aside, I want to set a firm goal that a coaster feature we can call
production-quality be in the next point release after the one currently
in candidate state. Its OK to have known limitations, but it should do a
useful core set of things very well, with tests to validate it, and
documented so users know what they can and can not expect it to do. (Ie
when to use it and when not).

I can see that this may take 8 weeks or more. I still want a list of the
known coaster improvements needed, and a time estimate for doing them,
and design discussion on any features that need it (such as coasters
that work well on OSG). Otherwise we cant tell if coasters needs 8 weeks
or 80 weeks. I started such a list in prior emails.

Mihael, please merge that with a list of issues you see from emailed
reports, other issues you know of or have concerns about, and send out
to swift-devel.

Now that we have some experience with coasters - much of it very
positive - we should bear down and focus on making it production
quality. I hear the dismissal of my previous statement on that as a
mom-and-apple-pie rant, but a list of know deficiencies and how you plan
to address them is the concrete part of what Im asking for when I say this.

- Mike