[Swift-devel] How to do coasters on bgp?

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 15 23:21:33 CDT 2009

Yes, the combination of the things you mentioned should allow you to run
on the BG/P with policies that restrict you to only a few jobs in the
queue, where each job will generally contain a large portion of the
allocation in terms of number of processors.

Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 20:08 -0500, Ioan Raicu wrote:
>
>> I believe the BG/P is one of those machines, where static resource
>> provisioning is necessary. From the discussion we had on static vs.
>> dynamic provisioning a week or so back, I think that might be a big
>> hurdle (besides the other typical hurdles, such as network connectivity,
>> language support, and nuances specific to the BG/P). Before moving to
>> the BG/P, I'd argue for implementing static provisioning,
>>

> I see there's still some confusion about "static provisioning". Perhaps
> we should abandon the term. Instead we could use:
>
> 1. pre-defined window, in which we say when the system should try to
> allocate nodes, in what amount, and for how long.
> 2. moving window, in which the system decides when to allocate nodes and
> for how long, subject to certain constraints (such as 64 nodes per job,
> 8 cores per node).
> 3. mixed mode, in which pre-defined windows could be used if available,
> and supplemented by moving windows if necessary.

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department
University of Chicago