[Swift-devel] How to do coasters on bgp?

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 15 23:18:13 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 20:08 -0500, Ioan Raicu wrote:
> I believe the BG/P is one of those machines, where static resource
> provisioning is necessary. From the discussion we had on static vs.
> dynamic provisioning a week or so back, I think that might be a big
> hurdle (besides the other typical hurdles, such as network connectivity,
> language support, and nuances specific to the BG/P). Before moving to
> the BG/P, I'd argue for implementing static provisioning,

I see there's still some confusion about "static provisioning". Perhaps
we should abandon the term. Instead we could use:

1. pre-defined window, in which we say when the system should try to
allocate nodes, in what amount, and for how long.
2. moving window, in which the system decides when to allocate nodes and
for how long, subject to certain constraints (such as 64 nodes per job,
8 cores per node).
3. mixed mode, in which pre-defined windows could be used if available,
and supplemented by moving windows if necessary.