[Swift-devel] How to do coasters on bgp?

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 15 20:08:39 CDT 2009

I believe the BG/P is one of those machines, where static resource
provisioning is necessary. From the discussion we had on static vs.
dynamic provisioning a week or so back, I think that might be a big
hurdle (besides the other typical hurdles, such as network connectivity,
language support, and nuances specific to the BG/P). Before moving to
the BG/P, I'd argue for implementing static provisioning, where one
could specify N nodes/cores for H hours, all contained in a single LRM
job submission. Once that works in general, on your favorite LRM, then
I'd move to the BG/P, and tackle BG/P specific issues.

Ioan

Michael Wilde wrote:
> What work is needed if we want to run coasters on the bgp?
>
> I can think of the following, but there might be more, or differen,
> issues.
>
> The scheduler is cobalt - it seems pretty PBS-like to the user; I dont
> know if its pbs-like enough for swift and coasters.
>
> We need to see if we can first run a simple job with the pbs provider.
>
> Then we can test if we start a single coaster job. That should ensure
> that the perl we need is all there.
>
> Once all that works, we need to work out how to ask coasters to
> allocate all the cores it wants in one job. Im hoping this would work
> the same on bgp as the feature you're developing for that purpose on
> other hosts.
> (does it have property name or profile variable name?)
>
> Does this seem close, anything missing, any other problems expected on
> BGP?
>

> p.s.
> Then there is sicortex, which is not a priority at all, but its
> interesting to think about:
> - no Java on head node
> - slurm scheduler
> - we have tested falkon on it by ssh tunneling from communicado

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department
University of Chicago