[Swift-devel] feature request

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 15 13:58:15 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 13:49 -0500, Glen Hocky wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> While I'm thinking of it, one problem I had using coasters on multiple
> TG sites is that jobs would commit themselves to a site at the beginning
> of the run.

If the site scoring parameters are left at the default, only a couple of
jobs should commit to sites at start, and the number would progressively
increase as sites complete jobs.

Combined with replication, which is probably disabled by default, even
jobs committed to sites that don't do much, should be re-submitted to
different sites eventually.

>  This was a problem because all of the jobs would finish on
> one machine while jobs for the other machines were sitting in a queue. I
> know you may have considered this before, but an option to select a
> site/coaster for a single job only when one is available would be very
> useful for us (note: we aren't too worried about overhead in not
> pre-setting up files and directories because our jobs run > 10 minutes,
> usually closer to an hour).

That is one thing that is planned with coasters, but hasn't materialized
yet, in part due to the fact that the above solution should provide a
similar experience.