[Swift-devel] Re: replication vs site score

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 9 11:49:33 CDT 2009

Right, Falkon supports both static and dynamic allocation of resources.
I believe coaster only supports dynamic allocation of resources. We have
lots of information under static allocation, that could help scheduling,
but under dynamic allocation, there is a mixture of known information
(the already allocated resources) and the unknown (the jobs in the wait
queue). In a sense, a smarter scheduler could make use of at least known
information, although this information might frequently change, and the
scheduler would have to adapt frequently.

Ioan

Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Ian Foster wrote:
>

>> I wanted to point out that when we use Falkon/coasters, we have full control
>> over scheduling, so in that case we could in principle pre-compute schedules.
>>

> Coasters as they are now are still allocated on an opportunistic basis, so
> once we have a coaster stuff could be scheduled to it, but when coaster
> workers actually exist is as unknown as when jobs will run in the
> non-coaster case, I think.
>
> Where Falkon has been used for pre-allocated resources on machines, with
> no dynamic allocation/unallocation, though, the available resources
> probably are known well enough for this.
>

>> However, in practice we still don't tend to have enough information about
>> execution times for this to be that useful. At least that's my belief.
>>

> yes.

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department