[Swift-devel] Re: swift-falkon problem

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 20 18:44:25 CDT 2008

I added a configurable delay in delivering notifications to Swift in the
provider code, which Mike still has to test.  The deef provider already
had a queue for the incoming notifications, so it was not hard to delay
these notifications from this queue to Swift.

Another approach, which I discussed with Mike, was to do a sync at the
end of the wrapper script.  From my simple test on a linux box, it seems
that sync is a blocking call, which is exactly what we want!
iraicu at gto:~> time sync
real    0m0.711s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.004s
iraicu at gto:~> time sync
real    0m0.035s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s

Mike, could you try adding a sync at the end of the wrapper.sh (and make
sure to not have any additional sleeps anywhere else), and see if that
helps?

Ioan

Ben Clifford wrote:
> There is flag for NFS mounts, 'noac', which disables attribute caching on
> clients, which I think may make the fielsystem behave in the desired
> fashion; however it sounds like it also massively reduces filesystem
> performance and fileserver load.
>
> Mike, you might be able to persuade MCS systems to make such a filesystem
> available.
>
> I suspect some multi-second delay after touching the status file and
> before exiting in the wrapper script is probably the best workaround for
> now, though.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory